Today, we all need to take precautions to stay safe against the ongoing pandemic. An easy way to disinfect your hands is to use an alcohol-based sanitizer or soapy water. This simple practice can help prevent the spread of covid-19. Since this virus can survive for days, disinfecting your hands and everything you touch on a daily basis is critical. And this list includes your car as well. Disinfecting your vehicle may take more time and effort than disinfecting your home, as harsh chemicals can damage the paint. Therefore, Mark Roemer Oakland shares the best way to disinfect your car regularly. Read on to know more.
The best cleaners
According to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), soapy water or alcohol-based solutions make the best disinfectants. The beauty of these solutions or products is that they are safe for the interior of your car. All you need to do is use a soft piece of clothing dampened with soapy water. Make sure you don’t clean the touch screens aggressively, or they may get damaged.
Things you’ll need
You need to get a few supplies and a cleaning solution for disinfecting your vehicle interior. Given below is the list of the supplies you need to collect:
- Microfiber piece of clothing
- One bucket of Soapy water
- Disposable gown
- Glass cleaner
- Leather conditioner
11 steps to disinfect your car
Before you start cleaning, make sure a few windows of your room are open. This step is critical if you want to protect your eyes and throat far from chemical irritants. Afterward, you can follow the steps given below to sanitize your car:
- First of all, you need to put on a pair of gloves and a face mask to protect yourself against the potential virus, chemical inhalation, and dust.
- Take out all of the floor mats and give them a nice shake.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck all of the dirt and debris
- Create a mixture of soap and water in a bucket
- Dip a piece of clothing in soapy water and wipe down all of your car seats. Make sure you don’t saturate the leather or upholstery while scrubbing hard. Excessive water and soapy may cause the growth of mold and mildew.
- Now, use the soap water to clean the floor mats you have already taken out of your car. Put the floor mats in the sun for a while to dry.
- Next, you can use a damp piece of soft cloth for wiping down dust, dirt, and other stuff from your vehicle surface.
- Use a soft piece of clothing in an alcohol-based solution for wiping down high-touch surfaces, such as levers, handles, knobs, and the steering wheel.
- Now, wait for all of these surfaces to dry. After 5 to 10 minutes, the solution will kill all of the viruses and bacteria.
- You can use alcohol or soap water to clean the mirrors or windows of your car. In this case, traditional window cleaners may not be effective against COVID-19. Once you have disinfected everything, you can spray a quality window cleaner on all of the windows of your car. Finally, you can wipe the solution with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Once you are done, you can dispose of gloves and other protective gear. Also, you should wash your hands and clothing as well.
In short, if you follow this guide by Mark Roemer Oakland, you can disinfect your car effectively to protect your family and yourself against COVID-19.